Saturday 23 October 2010

IAASTD interesting article

Interesting article from The Ecologist on how smallholders using methods similar to those I use at The Oak Tree are being ignored by policy makers.

It mentions the IAASTD report (International Assessment of Agricultural Knowledge, Science and Technology for Development ) also mentioned enthusiastically by Tim Lang at the recent Aldeburgh Food and Drink Festival Conference. According to the report The IAASTD was initiated in 2002 by the World Bank and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) so this is the voice of the establishment if ever there was one.

This is a pretty long document, and I must admit I haven't read it all. But when I get confused or lazy about reading about food policy I leave it to the expert, I search for Tim Lang's opinion. He always seems to talk sense, and I like his approach.

In this article of Jan 2010 he says In 2008, the World Bank initiated IAASTD countered those who believe in GM as the new magic bullet, arguing that sustainable food systems could be built around supporting the social not just ecological infrastructure of small farmers.

I am in contact with my local MP, Ben Gummer, about these issues, so I'll pen him a note to draw this to his attention.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home